Monday, April 9, 2012

Nightmares~

Coming From Dylan:
My hair is damp and my eyes are wide. My head no longer lays on its soft pillow that is now soaked in sweat, but is propped up into the cold night air of my bedroom.
The nightmares are no longer a part of me, the ones with the monsters dressed in uniforms, and who hold guns to our heads, killing all but me.
Why not me?
But still they linger through my recent memories.
 
My screams have stopped and I've managed to slow my heart a bit, but I'm still shaking. 
"Dylan?" I hear Hannah's voice come through the darkness and land on my face. "Are you okay?" She asks, but I'm not okay, so I don't answer her. 
I must have been so deep in thought for a moment, because I didn't even notice her hands touching my cheeks, until now.
I think she could feel me shivering under the sheets because I can feel her hands fall from my face, to down my arms and slip between my fingers as she makes her way into the empty space behind me.

She lays her arms across mine and rests her head on my back. 
Holding me tightly with her touch, she hums to me.
When she first casts the strange, unfamiliar melodies I've never heard before into the air, I plunge my arms into my chest, afraid that the gorgeous sounds might hurt me.
But then, as they catch in my ears, I pull away my arms, because they aren't threatening, but simply grand.
 
I feel foolish for a second. Because of how I'm not strong enough to be able to fall asleep alone.
Because how I need someone else's words to calm me.
But it's okay after a while, and I make a note in my head: don't be afraid to ask for help. My eyes begin to drift –as does my mind– but before I have the chance to fall back into the darkness of my own memories, I hear her.
Sweet and beautiful, "It's okay. It's okay you're home, you're safe now. You're safe with me."

And just then, I make another mental note: never let Hannah Thompson go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment